Sunday, August 12, 2007

Decisions, Decisions

The most difficult decision facing me every year at this time is "What materials should I buy for the kids to use for school this year?" It's such an anxiety ridden subject for me. I lay awake nights trying to determine who needs what and which approach will best fit with each child's learning style. I also want things that the kids can do mostly self-directed. The whole idea behind homeschooling for us is to teach them to self-teach, to ignite a love of learning and a desire to know more about subjects that interest them.

Sarah loves history and reading and I think I've found something perfect for her: http://www.notgrass.com/index.php. It looks like something she will really like and that she can do mostly independently, and it will actually give her a full credit each in History, Bible, and English. Now I just need to find an appropriate Biology course for her, order her math books from Singapore, and that will be that as far as requirements go. She can round out the rest with subjects of her choosing.

I think I am going with a majority of Rod & Staff for Emma and Caleb this year, along with Singapore math. I might have to find something more "workbookish" for Emma. She loves workbooks and worksheets. Maybe LLATL, I don't know. I hate spending a bunch of money on stuff they end up not liking, but such is the life of a homeschooler, and you know there's always Ebay.

No comments: