Monday, October 15, 2007

My Mom's Bible

Last week we had unlimited trash collection. Normally we're limited to three cans or bags of trash per week, but twice a year the city allows us to put out as much trash as we want to and they pick it all up. I'm sure you can imagine the mountains of stuff that appears at curbside in front of people's houses. It's impressive.

This year we were able to get rid of our big screen TV, which (finally!) decided to die about a month ago. I wasn't a big fan of the big screen, but my husband and children loved it. It was gifted to us by my aunt and uncle about 10 years ago when they decided to sell their home up here and move to live full-time in their house in Florida. I think I was the only one who wasn't completely excited about the TV. I was grateful but not particularly thrilled. That thing was huge and took up half of one wall in our family room. The family room looks enormous now that the TV is gone.

Back to my original point. While cleaning out the garage for unlimited trash collection, I came across a box in the back corner and among the other books inside the box was my mom's Bible. I was SO happy to find it. I didn't even know I had it, but what a nice surprise. I remember her carrying that Bible to church every Sunday when I was young, so there are a lot of nice memories attached. Plus, my mom used it, held it, flipped through its pages, and studied and memorized God's Word from it. That makes it priceless to me.

My mom went home to Heaven a little over four years ago, and I still miss her every day. I feel so lucky and blessed to have had her for as long as I did, and now I have her Bible. Happy day.

"We are hard pressed on every side,
but not crushed;
perplexed, but not in despair;
persecuted, but not abandoned;
struck down, but not destroyed."

--2 Corinthians 4:8-9

No comments: