Thursday, October 25, 2007

Comfort Food

Life has been hectic lately. Too hectic. I feel like I'm flailing in the wind, exhausted but unable to sleep, so many responsibilities hanging over me and not enough hours in the day to accomplish them. I want to take a good book and a hot cup of tea and hide under the covers. I want to forget I have a job and remember what it was like before, when my children and I spent quiet days together, just living life and having fun. I have to keep working for the time being. I hate that it has to be that way, but it does. For me to quit now would place an unnecessary burden on my wonderful, hard-working husband, and I love him too much to do that. However, I've developed carpal tunnel in my right hand and it is incredibly painful and makes it very difficult to type, so as soon as it is feasible for me to quit this job and be "just mom" again, you better believe I will do so.

Since I cannot take comfort in quitting, I'll take comfort in pudding. Rice pudding, to be exact. It's one of my favorite comfort foods and is also a favorite of my youngest. I make it especially when one of us needs a pick-me-up, or just because.

Rice Pudding

2 cups water
2 strips lemon zest
1 cup arborio rice
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup raisins (optional)

In a medium saucepan, bring the water to a boil with the lemon zest. Add the rice, cover and cook over low heat until the liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Stir in the milk, sugar, cinnamon and salt and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, over medium-low heat for an additional 20 minutes. Remove from the heat.

While the rice is still hot, lightly beat the egg yolks with the vanilla in a small bowl, then temper the mixture by whisking in a few spoonfuls of the rice. (This keeps the eggs from scrambling.) Stir the yolk mixture into the cooked rice.

Remove the lemon zest, stir the raisins into the rice pudding and transfer to a casserole dish or individual serving bowls. Serve hot or cold.

No comments: