Saturday, June 2, 2007

Money, money, money!

Would you believe that our sink backed up on Friday and we had to call Roto Rooter to come and...well...Roto Rooter our pipes? It's to the point now that it is just freaking funny. But everything is paid off (my last paycheck was about $200 more than I expected it to be. yay) so good for us. And thanks to God for coming through for me even when my faith isn't what it should be.

I was sitting here typing on Friday. The washing machine was running a load of clothes. The double sink in the kitchen was backed up. I made a big mistake by putting cooked rice down the garbage disposal I guess. Anyway, I had plunged the thing until my hands were fixed into claw-shaped nubs. I gave up and decided to wait for Brent to get home from work and let him try to snake the drain.

So...I'm sitting here typing and all of a sudden I hear Sarah in the kitchen going "OH NO! OH MY GOSH! MOM, HELP!" So I run out there to see both sinks overflowing rapidly and water pouring out at record speed onto the floor. Sarah was standing in front of the sink, attempting to hold the water back with her hands, which completely cracked me up. I literally could not stop laughing.

She was like the little Dutch boy and the dam. hahasmiley

I heard the washing machine spinning on the spin cycle and ran over and lifted the lid up to hopefully make it stop. That worked. Apparently the washer and the sinks are on the same line. Good to know! The girls and I used every available dry towel we had, plus a roll of paper towels to soak up the mess on the floor. Brent got home about 30 minutes later, took the pipes apart, and tried to snake it, but it didn't help so Roto Rooter it was.

It took the Roto Rooter guy about 10 minutes to get the thing cleared, but he said he had to go 30 feet out to get the clog, which he attributed to tree roots. Nothing we could have done to fix it, in other words. So I paid him his $120 (not a bad take for 10 minutes work, eh?) and he went on his merry way and everything is peachy. So far nothing else has broken, but I'm not counting my chickens or my ducks or however that saying is supposed to go.

Sarah turns 16 in 11 days. I don't feel old enough to have a 16 year old child. She is such an awesome, smart, friendly, kind, funny person. I feel lucky to have her in my life and to count her among my friends. Even if she wasn't my child I would still want to know her.

No comments: