Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Tuesday

Work was slow today, which was nice because it was also Brent's day off this week. Tomorrow should be hectic as Wednesdays usually are.

We have a plumber coming to fix the kitchen sink tomorrow morning. Some part of something is broken off and it leaks. Brent tried for an hour to disconnect whatever it was he was trying to disconnect but because it's broken off he couldn't get it. We called the plumber who replaced our hot water tank a couple of weeks ago and he's coming tomorrow morning at 7:30. SEVEN-THIRTY! Who in the heck shows up to fix a sink at seven freaking thirty in the morning?!!! I tried to persuade Brent to take tomorrow off so he can handle the repair stuff, but no such luck. Oh well. I'm always up by 7:30, I just hate having people in my house and having people in my house at such an early hour is even more undesirable.

I think I told you all our freezer died, right? Our deep freeze in the garage that was my parents' freezer. It's probably 25 years old or so. Anyway it died. I like to stock up on stuff when there is a good sale, and we like to buy large quantities of meat from local farmers so I really, really, REALLY miss having the freezer. My FIL called Brent today. Brent had called him on Sunday to wish him a happy Father's Day but he was at a car show so he called him back today. Brent asked him if he knew where we could get rid of the freezer, and his dad told him that he would haul it out to his house. He lives in a small town and the city picks up anything they put out for trash. We're limited to three bags a week and if we get rid of the freezer here we have to pay a guy $75 to have the freon drained and then pay a $25 fee to the city to have it hauled away. If my FIL takes it, his city will haul it away for free, so yay. Then came the clincher. He said "...and then I'll take you and buy you a new freezer." Ummm...come again? "I'll buy you a new one. Any kind you want, upright, chest, whatever, as big as you want." *insert image of me with my jaw on the floor here*

Okay, the reason this is so flabbergasting is because Brent and I have been married almost 18 years and this man has never bought us anything in that time. NOTHING. He sends money at Christmas, and I'm extremely thankful for that, but that's always been it.

When we were first married and living in an empty apartment in Maine, sleeping on the floor and recycling aluminum cans for grocery money, he didn't give us a cent. The whole reason Brent went into the Navy is because his dad refused to help him out with money for college, yet wouldn't forego using him as a deduction on his taxes so that Brent could get financial aid. The man has a LOT of money, but it's always been for him. He has three cars (one of them is a sweet little classic Corvette and the other is a 70s model Stingray), one truck, a Harley, a home here and one in Florida, and more gold jewelry than Disco Stu.

We never really expected financial help from him, but it would have been nice when we were wondering where our next meal was coming from.

None of that stuff really matters anymore anyway. We made it. When my parents found out how we were living they sent us money and bought us some furniture, but we made it through those times on our own and I'm proud of us for that. I'm also very thankful for my FILs generosity and I kind of feel like a jerk for thinking there have to be strings attached somewhere. I am actually afraid to take him up on this offer for fear of what it will mean, but Brent wants the freezer and so he is going freezer shopping with his dad on Monday.

In other news, Brent took Caleb out today and bought him his first BB gun. Squirrels and birds beware.

No comments: